Another birthday, another year wiser… right? HA. In honour of it being my 23rd birthday, I thought I’d share a quick list ( because I love me a list ) of 23 things that I’ve learned since I’ve been on earth.
001. When one door closes, another one opens. Always.
002. Some people come into our lives for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
003. Saving money is actually cool. You don’t always have to spend, spend, spend.
004. That being said, retail therapy is always the solution to all of life’s problems so sometimes spending is necessary. But make them smart purchases – you’ll never wear the sparkly gold heels. EVER.
005. You make the rules about your body. But remember that being healthy is cool. You don’t need to go to McDonald’s every single day in high school just because you can drive.
006. Stop the comparisons. To everything & everyone. Social media will be the biggest blessing yet curse in your young adult life.
007. Life will never go according to plan. You just gotta roll with the punches and grin & bear it.
008. Making big decisions is hard and you will almost always change your mind and that’s okay, too.
009. You don’t need to talk to your best friend every single day. But this doesn’t mean you’re no longer best friends.
010. Hanging out with your parents is cool.
011. Spending time with your grandparents is SO important. Make time for them because they won’t be around forever.
012. Actions speak louder than words. Get out and DO.
013. Do what you love and love what you do.
014. Never be ashamed of who you are, what you like or any of your accomplishments.
015. An accomplishment is an accomplishment, no matter how big or small it may be.
016. It’s okay to outgrow a friendship & it’s also okay to make friends with the enemy – ha Alexah, I’m talking to you. ; )
[ Sidenote: hugest shout out to my girl Alexah for graduating today… now we’re on to the next one! Couldn’t have survived SMU without you XO ]
017. Pick your battles and fight them wisely.
018. Sometimes saying ‘no’ is just what the doctor ordered.
019. But always say ‘yes’ if it’s feasible, helpful, an opportunity to grow or a once in a lifetime ( ish ) experience.
020. Driving with the music blasted, having a long hot bath, eating ice cream or crying with friends can basically cure all.
021. Don’t spread yourself too thin – work wise, school wise, extra-curricular wise, etc. Refer to #18 – just say ‘no’.
022. It’s never too late to try something for the first time.
023. Love with all your heart and never EVER give up on someone ( or something ) that makes you happy.
I’m off to stuff my face with breakfast foods and enjoy an extra large, super sugary, highly caffeinated, free Starbucks birthday drink because calories don’t count on your birthday, right? XO
++ I also finally got ALL of my pictures from Cuba to upload into WordPress soooo… prepare for an overload of Cuba pictures to come in basically every post for the next 2-3 weeks.
Bracelets: Me to We & Puravida